Friday, July 5, 2013

Great grandma Fran

Flying home from Ohio for a service for Molly's sweet great grandmother, known as gfran by her 7 grand kids. We lost her unexpectedly a few weeks ago, and I am still overwhelmed with grief. She was one of the sweetest, most gentle, loving and selfless women in my life and I am so very sad that Molly won't have more time with her.

The last time we spent time with her was for a birthday party for Molly's cousin, Emerson. It went past Molly's bedtime and she was getting a little fussy. Grandma reached over with her famous long finger nails and gently to tickled Molly's arms and neck. She was immediately in a trance and fell asleep in my arms. Grandma was an amazing babysitter for Molly when Ben and I were in a bind and always came bearing gifts that ended up being Molly's favorites.

I will miss her stories, her tickles, and her soft soothing singing voice. I will pass on our memories and traditions to Molly with Andy Williams playing white christmas with the first snow, eating Jiffy cornbread with milk and sugar, always putting a little cinnamon on Molly's applesauce, rolling out and decorating the best christmas cookies with Molly, and I'll probably even watch Miss America contests with Molly and think of gfran. I will tell her stories and tickle Molly's back and arms. I will try to show Molly the love and sacrifice that grandma always provided for her children and grandchildren. I am so glad they at least got to spend a little time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment